Often carts and wagons were delayed on either side of the river for several days. As the country districts became more populated the trade on this main road connecting the Eastern Province with the west, increased. This created a great need to find a way to bridge the river and therefore a sturdy bridge was necessary.
It took several years to plan and build the bridge caused by the unfavourable conditions of the bed of the river for solid foundations, but was eventually completed and opened on the 3rd December, 1895. The “christening” ceremony was performed by Mrs. Garcia, the wife of the Civil Commissioner of Uitenhage.
This was the main road from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town until the new N2 Bridge was built over the river in the 1970’s.